Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
December 17, 2017, 06:39:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking two Eskies  (Read 3048 times)
jennifer20
Hot Dog

« on: March 26, 2004, 06:15:35 PM »

Almost everytime I go to take Jake and Amaya for a walk, they start to wrestle and play.  It is really frustrating because their leashes get all tangled and they trip me.  Sometimes, they walk along just fine together.  Each of them walks great on leash alone.  But, I dont have time to walk them seperately and for them to get enough exercise.  Does anyone have any advise on how I can correct the behavior?  Usually, I hold them by their collars to seperate them and make them sit and tell them to "settle".  Sometimes, this works, but sometimes, they just start playing again.
vlynn
Classy Dog

United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 06:37:55 PM »

PetsMart has a leash for 2 dogs. It has one long lead and 2 shorter ones that y off to attach two dogs.

Walk two dogs with ease and control when you use the Pet Walker Plus. The patented design lets dogs walk over and under each other without tangling. Large size features a snap-release swivel as well as swivel snaps on leads.

http://www.petsmart.com

Maybe this will help.

Lynn - Mom to Casper & Frostie Smile

Jenny_Jen
Barks Too Much

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 07:04:30 PM »

I give you credit I can barely walk one!

Schatzi's Mom
Classy Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 07:18:17 PM »

I currently use the coupler on my leash.  I wouldn't say I walk both dogs with ease but it is better than having a tangle mess with the 2 leashes.  They still pounce on each other a bit when we walk but it is not so easy to wrestle since there is not that much room between the 2 leads on the end.  The only other trouble I have is when the older dog wants to take it slow and Schatzi is trying to drag her down the street but you won't have that problem with 2 pups  Big Grin .  I highly recommend it over trying to use 2 separate leashes.

Kim
Schatzi- Female Standard-6 Years Bday 8/4/2003

Jack - 3 years
jennifer20
Hot Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 07:55:51 PM »

Thanks for all of your replies.  I was waiting to get a double leash untill Amaya got a little older.  I think that she is old enough now to keep up with Jake.  Are their different types of double leashes?  If so, do you reccomend one?
Schatzi's Mom
Classy Dog

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 10:26:40 PM »

Here is the one I got.  It is 18 inches from Shelby's clip to Schatzi's and you can see their size difference in the picture.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=7800&sku=2350323756&tab=1&dept_id=164&c1=154&c2=163&c3=164&ct1=Collars%2C+Leashes+%26+ID+tags&ct2=Leashes&ct3=Accessories

Kim
Schatzi- Female Standard-6 Years Bday 8/4/2003

Jack - 3 years
Carolyn
Puppy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 10:28:43 PM »

I have now been able to take Kody and Kiana on a walk together.  Unfortunately, I find one feeds off the other and when they decide to run, fight, pull, or bark it's double trouble.  I have to use choker collars on them and I walk Kody on my right.  I have trained him that way.  I keep the hoop of the handle on my wrist and wrap the bulk of the leash around my hand and keep them on a pretty short lead.  It works well when I stop they sit.  They are tough when they want to get somewhere PULLING.  But I found with two leashes and just letting them go ahead of me I was constantly having them struggling to be the lead dog as well as fighting and twisting upthe leashes.  To continue their training I have been taking them separately too.  It's gives me time to focus on each personality, it's tough to always find the time.  If I didn't have a back yard I don't know if they would be getting enough exercise in.
jennifer20
Hot Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 04:27:37 PM »

Carolyn, I have the same problem with my two eskies; they feed off of each other.  They are not always bad, but when one decides to act up, the other one follows.  They dont really strugle to be the lead dog, they normally walk side by side.  But they like to carry sticks when they walk, and if one of them finds a stick, they will fight over it.  I think that I am going to try a leash connector today.
Dale
Cool Dog

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 06:06:43 PM »

I can highly recommend a coupler, from experience. Especially one that will allow one dog to lead by 3 ft over the other. Wheen I had the beagle and Liam. the eskie invariably wanted to lead, the beagle was content to follow.
Check with Michael, perhaps he could help you, he did me.

Dale
Liam, CGC, is 16", 31  lbs, male, solidly built, BD 3.1.03:]
Michael
Administrator

United States

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 07:37:24 PM »

Yes, there are a few different kinds and different lengths and all, but most are based on the same principle...which you see in Schatzi's pic above.

I did make one for Dale as it came up right when I was about to send his book out, and since I usually keep various supplies of stuff on hand, was able to do one up and send it with the book. I did his in black, but do have some hot pink and light blue webbing, as well as some plain black, right now! Big Grin

I've also been crazy enough to make my own martingale show leads, which is far more work than they are worth, but I had some time and materials then and it was faster than ordering.

Leashes and such are often pretty affordable and available though, so if you have a good source nearby, that would be the best place to check, especially if you need one right away.

Take care.....

Michael

Shelby- American Eskimo Dog
Dahlia & Cassandra - Miniature Poodles
In loving memory of Jamie and Amber (Miniature Poodles)
jennifer20
Hot Dog

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 01:15:03 AM »

Well, I went to Petsmart today and they only had one kind of coupler.  It is like the one Shatzi has.  It works pretty good, they do get tangled up some though.  Once, Jake was draging Amaya on her back after they were wrestling.  A few times, their legs have gotten tangled up in it also.  Most of the time it seems to work well though, so I will continue to work them in using it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum