Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
May 25, 2018, 10:18:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clubs  (Read 3164 times)
Scout's Parents
Hot Dog

« on: March 19, 2004, 02:13:19 PM »

What is the difference between AKC and UKC?  I know they are different clubs, but what else.  It seems that the AKC is more prestigous.... is that true?  Scout is registered with UKC, but he didn't come with any AKC stuff.  Will that hinder us in the future?  He isn't show quality, so we wouldn't show him or anything like that.  But if he excels in agility  (he's and eskie, so we know that he will  Cool ) we want to let him compete.  Will he only be able to compete in UKC trials?  

Scout's Mommy

Scout: Mini Male: 9 months: 19 lbs  14 inches
b-day 11/04/03

eskieagilitygal
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 02:24:56 PM »

If he is registered under UKC he'll be able to compete in UKC trials.  If you want to compete in AKC, you'll need to go to the AKC website and file for an ILP# (Indefinite Listing  Privilege).  I have posted it for you below.   All it is, is a application, along with a photo and a fee and you're registered with the AKC.. You'll be able to compete in all performance events with an ILP, just not Conformation.   As long as they think Scout is an Eskie by his Picture... Lol!   Send the one in showing his teeth... that will intimadate them into giving him an ILP...lol!   I forget what type of pic, but I think you need some showing him standing (side profile and front profile).  But in anycase ... it's pretty painless.   Winston is a rescue... so I got an ILP for him.  I could get one through the UKC as well, but not enough UKC performance events around here to bother.  WIth all the different Venues... you'll see which have the most activities in your area and choose from there.  Winston and I just do AKC and CPE events... that will keep us busy enough.  

http://www.akc.org/registration/ilpex.cfm
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 02:25:19 PM by eskiagilitygal » Logged

Praise The Dog - Slap the Handler
Taffee (Peace Loving), Little Tasha (Worker Bee), Blu (The Scallywag), Siku (The Jester)
Rainbow Bridge - Sir Winston (My #1)
EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 07:51:18 AM »

I kept thinking that GA was a hotbed for UKC stuff. Did a check under their events for agility and from Jan - June saw nothing.   As for the AKC agility 22 trials from Dec 2003 to Oct early 2004.  
  Guess you better go read about the AKC ILP program!
Mary

Mary in the Northern Neck of VA

My alter ego, my heart
Ch. Sierra Striking Raven, CGC, TDI, TT
female Standard  2/3/96 - 2/12/10

Scout's Parents
Hot Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 11:03:25 AM »

I did read about it as soon as I read Tammy's post.  It is mandatory that the animal be spayed or neutered, so we are a couple of weeks away from that.  He has an appointment for April 9. Frown  Frown

But I am still wondering what the differences are, if any.

Scout's Mommy

b-day 11/04/03

EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 11:57:32 AM »

Originally posted by Scout's Parents
But I am still wondering what the differences are, if any.

Differences in agility or being a club?

As far as clubs - UKC states they are for the 'Total Dog' as I think Tammy mentioned earlier.   They are still more for hunting & sporting breeds then the AKC.  They say they are more 'family oriented'.  You can still get away from not knowing the rules, so to speak, then you can with AKC.

AKC is the cream of the crop, IMO.  Been around longer, done more things first.  But the UKC has become more obvious and vigilant since the old AKC man- Wayne took over.

If your question was about agility, then post and I'll write.                                                 Mary

My alter ego, my heart

eskieagilitygal
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 01:42:07 PM »

AKC or  UKC  What's the difference, between Honda or Toyota, to the layman anyway.   It's just two different types of registery's/venues.    Some breeders register their dogs for both, some choose between the two, perferring one over the other.  From what I hear... UKC is more user friendly to the novice person, getting into conformation showing or performance trials, not as ridged with the rules.    

In my area I have more AKC events/trials and very minimal UKC, so it made sense for me to get an AKC ILP... if it were the other way around I would have registered with the UKC.  It will vary from area to area.

Praise The Dog - Slap the Handler
Taffee (Peace Loving), Little Tasha (Worker Bee), Blu (The Scallywag), Siku (The Jester)
Rainbow Bridge - Sir Winston (My #1)
Scout's Parents
Hot Dog

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 02:01:54 PM »

thanks for the info.... y'all answered my questions.

Scout's Mommy

b-day 11/04/03

EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 03:06:14 PM »

Oh good!  'Cause if you asked about UKC agility, I'd really have to go research.    Red Face  I remember what it used to be 10 - 15 years ago, but changes occur all the time.                                                             Mary

My alter ego, my heart

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum