Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
May 25, 2018, 10:11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggested reading for eskies?  (Read 3022 times)
heidi
Barks Too Much

United States

« on: March 14, 2004, 07:15:55 PM »

Okay, so eskies don't read...  :rolleyes:  but I do.

A while ago a book was recommended as a good eskie guide (although out of print).  I wrote it down somewhere and have since then lost it.  Anyway, I was hoping someone could re-suggest that book along with any other eskie specific books out there that are worth looking into.

Thanks!

Pablo (corgi), Micki (reskie), Ophelia (lab/beagle)
Michael
Administrator

United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 07:43:46 PM »

There are a few Eskie-specific books out there, and the one that Mary had recommended was by Nancy Hofman and is called The New American Eskimo Dog if I recall correctly. The reason it's "new" is because it's a newer edition over an older earlier edition of the book. MAJOR big update, so was pretty much a new book. I have the earlier edition, but not the New one! Frown Was kinda pricey, so never got it. I'll look some stuff up here and post a list of eskie books that I'm aware of(and maybe some input on some of them).

BTW, when Shelby was little and I'd be reading something on the bed, and she'd be up by me and want to be involved, I'd have to say to her at times "Don't Lick the Pages". Somehow I think that only makes sense to a dog owner, but oh well. Even if she doesn't read, at least books, she has tried to help! Smile

List coming soon......

Michael

Shelby- American Eskimo Dog
Dahlia & Cassandra - Miniature Poodles
In loving memory of Jamie and Amber (Miniature Poodles)
Michael
Administrator

United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 08:06:41 PM »

American Eskimo Dogs: Everything About Purchase, Care, Nutrition, Breeding, Behavior, and Training (A Complete Pet Owner's Manual) by D. Caroline Coile, et al (Paperback - August 1995)[/u]
A small book in the Barron dog books series. Probably can be found for $5-10 range easily. I actually thought this was a pretty decent little book, and probably one of the best "primers" on the breed for someone wanting to get their first read on the breed. Not the most detailed or comprehensive AED book, but a nice little book for starters, and a worthwhile read overall.

Guide to Owning an American Eskimo by Betsy Sikora Siino (Paperback - February 1998 )[/u]
Another small and inexpensive book, and full of some nice glossy pictures of eskies. I forget what the text was like, but the pics are nice! Smile

American Eskimo Dog: A Comprehensive Guide to Owning and Caring for Your Dog (Kennel Club Dog Breed Series) by Richard G. Beauchamp (Hardcover - September 2003)[/u]
I have seen this book, but don't have it and haven't read it. Another edition was put out by TFH. I think Mary can comment more on this.

A New Owner's Guide to American Eskimo Dogs by Richard G. Beauchamp (Hardcover - April 1999)[/u]
The TFH book by Beauchamp. Again, have seen, but not read. See the above info on the Kennel Club book by Beauchamp.

The Complete American Eskimo: A Special Kind of Companion Dog by Barbara E. Beynon[/u]
This is an older book(early 90s if I recall), and I'd heard Barbara was working on a "new" edition, but not sure if that ever happened or not. Was the first book I read on the breed, and overall, decent. Defintely a step away from the TFH and series styles, so is a good book to have.

The New American Eskimo by Nancy J. Hofman, et al[/u]
This is the book Mary mentioned. Larger and better than the earlier edition. Wished I'd bought a copy earlier! Frown Probably one of the better AED books to pick up....if you can get ahold of it.

The American Eskimo by Nancy J. Hofman, Cathy J. Flamholtz[/u]
The earlier edition of Nancy's book. This one I have and is worthwhile indeed. I would recommend it, but would also recommend getting all the other AED books you can too! Smile

American Eskimos by Monica Sellers[/u]
Forget to list this one earlier. Another TFH series book, and, again, includes all the TFH stuff like hyping Nylabones(owned by same company) and that jazz, but also does get into the breed somewhat and, as an eskie book does, has some nice pics. This book has been released with a number of different "covers". I've seen at least 3 or 4 different covers, but presume that the info inside is the same for each release. OK book, but not the top of the list for AED books. Can probably be found on Ebay and elsewhere fairly cheaply

How to Raise and Train a Spitz by Ernest H. Hart[/u]
This is really a book on the AED. Like late 60s or so from TFH, so has all the wonderful oddities of TFH books. Odd thing is that the AE was known as that by this time and the book even mentions registering your dog and papers and all, but NEVER once mentions them as AE...ALWAYS merely as "spitz", which many knew them as way back when. Not the best book....only for those who "must" have everything on eskies. Interesting, but not one I'd recommend, unless it's all you can find(still look for others though!).

All About the Spitz Breeds by David Cavill[/u]
....and at least one book on the Spitz breeds together(Can't comment on this as I haven't read it)....

There are also lots of "dog" books with small bits(usually paragraph or page at most) on eskies, but the above are more or less "eskie specific".

I'd probably recommend this way:

Nancy's "New" book.
Nancy's "Old" book.
Barbara's book.
Coile's book
and then whatever you can from then on......

Most of these can be found on http://www.amazon.com and some on ebay, etc.

Did I miss anything?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 10:45:34 PM by Michael » Logged

Michael

Shelby- American Eskimo Dog
Dahlia & Cassandra - Miniature Poodles
In loving memory of Jamie and Amber (Miniature Poodles)
heidi
Barks Too Much

United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 08:33:46 PM »

I've got the Colie book.  I've read some other books from the Barron's series, so I figured it would be a safe bet.

I've been looking at the one by Barbara Beynon for a while on amazon.com.   (I love ordering from Amazon because one of their warehouses is just up the street, so I usually get my books in a couple days.)

The one by Nancy Hofman is still out of print and still $68 on amazon.  I just wanted to know what it was so I could make sure to put it on my wishlist and keep an eye on it in case something changes.

jennifer20
Hot Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 09:49:44 PM »

I have American Eskimos by Monica Sellers, and I would not recommend it.  Most of the book has nothing to do with American Eskimos.  There are some cute pictures at the begining, and it tells a little bit about them.
heidi
Barks Too Much

United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:00:59 PM »

The comments on amazon.com about the Sellers book indicates it's more a self-promotion than a book about eskies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum