Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
December 17, 2017, 06:40:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Classes  (Read 2013 times)
SuedesMom
Puppy

« on: April 08, 2003, 10:39:33 AM »

Has anyone of you had your Eskie in training classes.  I have a feeling that Phoebe is going to have to have some training if I am going to keep my sanity.  She just cannot get with the program on any level.  Barking, eating non-stop (if I'd let her), still using Suede, our sharpei, as her favorite chew toy, waking up at the "butt-crack" of dawn (louder than any rooster crow you've ever heard) and just a complete handful all day long EVERY DAY!

Honestly, I can handle her barking when she's outside or when someone comes in the house, but it simply drives my husband to madness.  I know that alot of what she is doing is just condusive to the Eskie personality...but is there any chance at all that she will become slightly passive as she gets older?  She is 14 weeks old now and I realize that is still very young.  I don't want her to be a "stuffed animal" ... but she really has more energy than I can ever keep up with.

NO...You can't have her, so don't even ask!  I'll go insane before I give her away.  Do you think I'll just have to go mad and then begin thinking everything she does, good or bad, is adorable?...Yikes!  I'm in trouble if that's the case.  

Any input is appreciated!

SuedesMom

Marie
Classy Dog

United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 11:14:34 AM »

My Lola has been in training classes since she was 3 months old.  She was in beginner obedience twice and now she is going into pre novice.  She is more calm now and she will listen if I give her a command.  I think the classes are helping her socially as well.  Lola is a little reserved around strangers and other dogs.  I was having a problem with her growling if someone got to close. (She is very protective)  This trait is known in her breed.  I  have noticed a difference in her behavior and I am pretty confident that she will improve even more.  I definately recommend training classes. Good Luck!
 Happy

Lola, 6 years old Born 5/30/02
Standard Eskie, 32lbs Happy
Cats: Sandi and Buddy & Bootz 

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1120340397051447254FXEHne
Kathy
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 10:01:30 AM »

My eskies both went through puppy kindergarten and started beginning obedience classes but now I've found a trainer right down the street from me so we have private lessons.

Eskies are so intelligent, they really need something to occupy their minds and they love training.  But they are also sensitive so shouldn't be trained with choke collars or prong collars.  We use only positive reinforcement (clicker training) and they both love it!  One of the first things I taught Shasta was to wave and now she comes up to me and waves when she wants a training session.

Pheobe is a good age for puppy kindergarten.  They usually teach a bit of manners and some beginning commands like sit and down.  It also helps get them used to being in the presence of other people and dogs.

Other suggestions for curbing her enthusiasm are lots of toys and chew bones, Buster Cubes or other treat dispensing toys where they have to work to get the treats out, stuffed Kongs, etc.

I try to work in really short training sessions all throughout the day.  Puppies don't have long attention spans and mental work tires them out--yaay!  So I'll have them do a down or a sit before I'll open the door to let them out, always have them sit before getting a treat, sit before I put their food down, sit before letting them out of their big wire kennel, etc.  Any behavior I don't like gets redirected.  "Off" was one of the first commands they learned.  Barking earns them a long view of the back of my head.

And yes, they do eventually calm down.  But it helps if you teach them how to be calm.  Learning to sit or stay helps them learn control.  After you teach them to stay, you can play hide & seek.  I tell them to stay, then go hide in another room and call them to come.  They get a treat when they find me.  They love this game!  And it teaches both stay and come.  Of course, you have to start slow.  You start the stay with you standing right over them.  Then a foot away.  Then two feet.  Etc etc.  Add in some distractions like jumping jacks or circling around them.

My two snowpups tire me out every day and constantly challenge me to come up with new ways to keep them occupied.  Maybe someday we'll be writing wistfully about how much fun they were as pups and what couch potatoes they've turned into!

Kathy and the Snowpups
CATCH UACH URO1 Shasta NA,NAJ,S-OAC,O-OCC,EJC,O-TN-E,S-TG-O,S-WV-O,
UAGII UCD URO1 AltCH Kola NAJ,NAC,EAC,OCC,OJC,S-TN-O,TG-O,WV-O,CL4
Snowfox
Cool Puppy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 12:23:23 PM »

Oh yes do training classes. But do remember that not all trainers are alike. Try to make sure the trainer uses positive methods. Also be wary if the class is full of bigger dogs, because the trainer may direct comments to methods that are appropriate with a dog that is 3 times your dogs weight!
I have found my Eskies very anxious to learn obedience and tricks. The one I have now gets terribly anxious if she does not understand what I am teaching. She just wants to please so much.
Great idea to go to training class, I presume she is o.k.ed by the vet to go out and meet other dogs too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum