Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
May 25, 2018, 10:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a *Purebred* dog in Canada  (Read 4856 times)
Michael
Administrator

United States

« on: January 23, 2005, 07:13:11 PM »

With recent dicussion on purebreds and Canada, I thought I'd search on something I thought I read a week or two ago on some site. Sure enough, I remembered right.

See this site:
http://www.canadogs.com/Buy_Pup.htm

Scroll down and you'll find the following text:
How will I know if he's really a purebred?
    It is illegal in Canada to sell a dog as a purebred without supplying registration papers free. The seller must register and transfer the ownership of the dog to the buyer at no cost. This is protected by the ANIMAL PEDIGREE ACT. If a breeder is willing to sell you a purebred without papers for a lower cost, run...do not walk away! This is not reputable behaviour and it is illegal. What else might the breeder be concealing from you?

And this one on a Border Collie site:
http://www.bordercollie.ca/informat.htm

Scroll down about 2/3 of the page and you'll see this:
In Canada it is illegal to sell a dog as "purebred" without supplying papers. It is also illegal to charge more for a puppy with papers than without. (E.g., puppy 1- buyer doesn’t want papers, puppy price $250.00; puppy 2 - buyer wants papers, puppy price is $300.00).

NOW....does that mean if you don't get papers you won't have a "purebred"? Not necessarily. It just means that you're likely dealing with someone more interested in $$$ than in the breed's well being, past and future. Personally, I don't recommend dealing with someone on this caliber, but it happens often enough, and many dogs come from these places. Many very loved pets! And it matters more how you take care of the dog once you have him/her. But learning a little about what "papers" are all about and what they mean is worth it if you really care about your pets. It will help you understand a lot more about lots of facets.

Plus, you also want to be aware of the "laws" in Canada (as those of us in the US must also do here), so you know your rights and responsbilities in obtaining a dog from someone else!

Just thought I'd toss this up due to other recent discussion. Not saying anybody or any dog is necessarily better or worse than another....just some information to feed our heads with.

Take care...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 07:18:42 PM by Michael » Logged

Michael

Shelby- American Eskimo Dog
Dahlia & Cassandra - Miniature Poodles
In loving memory of Jamie and Amber (Miniature Poodles)
Rigby
Hot Dog

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 11:57:09 PM »

Michael,  We were given the papers to send to the UKC - breeder was not registered with AKC - and told to send them in if so desired within a year and to pay the fee of I think $25.  The papers are in the drawer as I really do not feel the need to register Elmo unless it would be of help to other CNDs should he have a genetic "defect" and they want to avoid this breeder.  He doesn't have blue eyes, that I knew to look for.  I was surprised that we were expected to pay the transfer fees.  When I was researching dogs and attempting to find a breed that while not guaranteed to have good health, would at least have a fair shot at it (after my experience with the breeding of Dachshunds who had suffered disc disease frequently resulting in the pups (mine) inheriting it) I was on a mission, I did note a few instances where people were told to report certain inherited health problems to the AKC or UKC along with the name of the breeder.  This is only reason I would bother to register Elmo - to help others.  So far, so good though.  This week he has been trying extra hard with me - a real snuggle bunny -my husband hasn't learned that you get further keeping your voice calm and not expecting the worst.  He even deliberately ignored the toilet paper roll with a look of disdain - previously one of his favourite things.  Also doing well on Fromm's Chicken A La Veg and his wheat free biscuits. Of course this could be because he was such a smooth operator his 2 days on Hill's T/D adult food.  I think the dog they thought was the "runt" has turned out to be the Swan.  Gorgeous pup if he does say so and darn spiffy in his coat.
Sandy S
Classy Dog

United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 03:26:05 AM »

You can still send in the UKC paperwork.  At the present time, they are not penalizing the "after one year" void date.  The cost would be $16.00 US.

The big health thing with Eskies is late on-set PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy).
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 08:06:00 AM »

Michael,

Most of us are who know all this stuff is aware here in the Quebec Province that lots of breeders (not talking about those with good reps) supply false papers to those who do not know better. There is a huge racket of those false certificates going around and they are "proud" to say this too even on tv.

There is a new law in effect since Jan. 5th of this year protecting the rights of companion cats and dogs. Visits can be done without warning to inspect the breeding and kennel sites. They will also be teaching and informing owners and their guardians. Hopefully this will open the eyes of a lot of breeders and kennels. But unfortunately, I do not think this applies to petshops, our biggest sellers (without papers of course for expensive pets coming from God knows where!!! Frown .

It is a network of networks (first group to be inspected will be mushers).

Hopefully they will have enough inspectors to cover the province. Last I had heard of was 12. Not a lot.....

Our best is still to convince people the pros and cons in the hope they take the good decision.

Helene-Saint mom
EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 11:43:11 PM »

You learn something new every day.
I love the fact that it is illegal !
Mary

Mary in the Northern Neck of VA

My alter ego, my heart
Ch. Sierra Striking Raven, CGC, TDI, TT
female Standard  2/3/96 - 2/12/10

Rigby
Hot Dog

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:25:38 AM »

Sandy, I worry about the PRA and hips (not to mention Elmo breaking one of his gorgeous legs due to their length and his circus act.  We adopted ("bought") Elmo at 13 weeks in July so are not out of time to send in forms since she told us a year.  Just was trying to find a "why bother" reason. But I was surprised the transfer was not done by her for free. That is the norm. Glad to hear about the new law in Quebec.
Sandy S
Classy Dog

United States

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »

"But I was surprised the transfer was not done by her for free. That is the norm."  The norm for who?  I have never transfered the owners name on pups I have sold.  On those I've bought, yes.

Here's another reason to transfer the papers into your name.  Legally, on the kennel club records, YOUR dog still belongs to the breeder.
EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 08:22:21 PM »

Yeah, but this is in Canada.
 According to Michael's first post in this topic it seems t be the seller's responsibility.
Mary

Mary in the Northern Neck of VA

My alter ego, my heart
Ch. Sierra Striking Raven, CGC, TDI, TT
female Standard  2/3/96 - 2/12/10

Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 08:26:43 PM »

The breeder filled out the paper in front of us the same day we got Tako and mailed them to the association. She told us that as soon as she got them back she would mail them to us which she did a few weeks after that. No cost either.

Helene-Saint mom
Sandy S
Classy Dog

United States

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 11:41:29 PM »

Well, I guess you can do one of three things.

1.  Go back to breeder and demand she pay for transfer as the law says.

2.  Send the papers into UKC yourself.

3.  Leave the papers in the drawer.

At this point, it's up to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum