Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
June 24, 2018, 04:35:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, it's been a while.  (Read 248 times)
SnowysDad
Cool Dog

« on: March 06, 2018, 02:49:58 AM »

Hi eskieboard'ers,  I haven't posted for many moons.  The place has slowed down a lot, but I am glad you folks are still around. 

Both my Snows have passed;  now I'm "CrystalsDad.  She's an eskie/terrier mix.  Not sure what kind of terrier.  We responded to a Pennysaver ad about an AE pup.  Although we were surprised that it was a mix, since it wasn't advertised as such I felt I had to take her.  The people who bred her hadn't even given her a name and she was 6 months old.  She was sooo skinny.  She immediately leaped into my arms.  She was covered in fleas.  She's about 10 now.

We've had quite a journey.  She dominated Snowboy at home from the get go.  With her sharp puppy teeth she wrestled toys from Snow.  She could outrun and outmaneuver Snow, who was probably on the 95th %tile. Somehow she imposed her will on him even though he would destroy her in a fight and she was afraid of every other dog or person.    She would cower behind me when we encountered other people or dogs.  It took her years to gain even a little trust of anyone else.  There have only been 3 or 4 people who she took to right away.  She barks like crazy, although somewhat improved.  I just love her to death.

I would like to get another eskie, or possibly a dog of another breed, but Crystal is just so jealous.

Snowy, 3yr. standard male
Crystal,  1yr. standard female

Bill and Terry
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »

Welcome back!  Wish more people would give up facebook and come back for a visit.

Crystal sounds like she found the right home!  Dealing with the fleas must have been a nightmare.  When you said she's 10 now, that's 10 months or 10 years?  Kind of confused since you said you got her as a pup.  Although, it seems like the time just flies by.  Hard to believe my youngest one, Hunter, is already 2 yrs. old, his mom Lexee will be 5 yrs. old in April, and his grandma Kasha turned 11 yrs. old in November.

Would be great if you could post some pictures of Crystal!   Wink

Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »

Welcome back!

I agree with Roben that people should come and visit... but comment more often. Miss a lot of the good ol' conversations we used to have here.

I know some come and check but never stop long enough to write. Frown

Yes, please posts of Crystal. Smile

I'm sure with time and patience, you could introduce a new dog to Crystal.

Helene-Saint mom
SnowysDad
Cool Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:18 AM »

Welcome back!  Wish more people would give up facebook and come back for a visit.

Crystal sounds like she found the right home!  Dealing with the fleas must have been a nightmare.  When you said she's 10 now, that's 10 months or 10 years?  Kind of confused since you said you got her as a pup.  Although, it seems like the time just flies by.  Hard to believe my youngest one, Hunter, is already 2 yrs. old, his mom Lexee will be 5 yrs. old in April, and his grandma Kasha turned 11 yrs. old in November.

Would be great if you could post some pictures of Crystal!   Wink

It's good to be back. 

If I had known in advance Crystal was a cross from a purely for profit backyard breeding operation I wouldn't have responded to the ad, but I am so glad I did.  God works in mysterious ways.

Crystal is about 10 years old now.  It took her about 4-5 years to not cower behind me when meeting people. 

I'll do my best for pics.  I'm kind of old fashioned.  I don't have a cell phone or camera.  I did buy a disposable camera and took some pictures and got a CD, but I can't remember where it is at.  If I can find it I have some really nice pictures with me and Terry, with Snow and Crystal when they were young.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:59:32 AM by SnowysDad » Logged

Bill and Terry
SnowysDad
Cool Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:37:19 AM »

Welcome back!

I agree with Roben that people should come and visit... but comment more often. Miss a lot of the good ol' conversations we used to have here.

I know some come and check but never stop long enough to write. Frown

Yes, please posts of Crystal. Smile

I'm sure with time and patience, you could introduce a new dog to Crystal.

I am hesitant to bringing another dog with Crystal.  She is at once super insecure and submissive with dogs at the dog park; and dominant over Snow, who was an alpha at the dog park.  She adores the spotlight and will not be happy to share it.   Snow was happy to share the love, only on a very rare few occasions showing any jealousy.  Crystal was always jealous and competitive for my attention. 

I would like to get another dog, preferably an eskie, and have been checking the SPCA website, and as you say, time and patience will be required, quite possibly more than I have at the time. 

Bill and Terry
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »

It's good to be back. 

If I had known in advance Crystal was a cross from a purely for profit backyard breeding operation I wouldn't have responded to the ad, but I am so glad I did.  God works in mysterious ways.

Crystal is about 10 years old now.  It took her about 4-5 years to not cower behind me when meeting people. 

I'll do my best for pics.  I'm kind of old fashioned.  I don't have a cell phone or camera.  I did buy a disposable camera and took some pictures and got a CD, but I can't remember where it is at.  If I can find it I have some really nice pictures with me and Terry, with Snow and Crystal when they were young.

It's not a bad thing to have an Eskie mix.  I purposely bred to get the Huskimo (American Eskimo/Siberian Husky), but I did it with Eskies from my own genetically tested breeding and had the testing done for the Siberians I used too.  I wanted to have the healthiest dogs that I could get.  Sad thing is a lot of breeders, both backyard and even some 'professional breeders', are not testing their dogs.  That goes for any breed, not just the Eskies.

Glad you were able to get Crystal to come out of her shell, even if it took years to do it.  At only 10 yrs. old, she has lots of life left in her.  Depending on the terrier breed mixed in her, many of the smaller ones are very long lived dogs, even more so than some Eskies.

Have you taken Crystal to a dog park or someplace where she can meet other dogs and she how she acts?  The bad part about terriers is their instinct to 'spar' with another dog so ingrained that it might just be something that she wouldn't be able to get over.

Don't feel bad about being 'old fashioned' without a smart phone!  I'm the same way! Wink  I still like email rather than texting.  I like this forum rather than facebook.  I've ended up learning way too much about computers in general.  My stepson keeps giving static about the fact that when they were kids, (back in the '80s) I wouldn't have a computer in the house.  Now he brings his computer to me to fix since he doesn't have time.  So I always have spare internal parts on hand! Tongue

Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »

ah. I did not realize that Crystal was "that" much older. Knowing me, I would hesiste too to bring a dog, especially a younger one in my home when issues are not solved with the other one. It would break my heart to have to "return" the dog if things heated too much and were a risk for each other.

I had to go through something between a cat and Nuuk and it is not fun having to control the situation 24/7.

Helene-Saint mom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum