Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
May 25, 2018, 10:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pixie the Pom  (Read 254 times)
DebbieA
Veteran Member

United States

« on: June 03, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I thought since I'm here, I'd post about our little Pom, Pixie.  Some of you may remember her from the Eskie Picnic seven years ago.  She was six months old, had a broken leg, and was just coming into her first heat. My mom had to hold her the entire time.

A couple of months ago, we noticed that Pixie had started peeing and pooping in the house, and she was very lethargic.  Within a couple of days we knew we had to take her to the vet.  Her blood sugar was off the meter and she was in kidney failure.  After a weekend of intensive care at the emergency vet, we lost her.  We didn't have a necropsy done, but the best guess was some sort of fast-growing pancreatic cancer.  She was only seven, and she was the one we thought we would still have when the older dogs were gone.

I was crocheting baby hats for the hospital last winter and got silly with Pixie.

RIP my Pixie-Poo.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:27:12 AM by DebbieA » Logged

~Debbie~

Lucy ~ Mini Eskie ~ DOB 04/02/04
Leo/Pokemon ~ Mini Reskie ~ DOB 09/01/05-ish ~ Gotcha 03/24/07
Lorelei ~ Shih Tzu ~ DOB 02/09/04
Pixie ~ Pom ~ DOB 01/01/10-ish ~ Gotcha 04/01/10 ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 03/06/17
Laszlo ~ Mini Reskie ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10/28/06
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear about Pixie.  She was such a cute little dog and I remember her being at the picnic. 

Another thing to watch for is advanced Lyme disease.  If it's not caught early enough, it can affect the kidneys and cause them to go into failure.  I know of one one dog recently that was in that situation and even though so many people heard the symptoms and suggested getting the dog treated for Lyme, the vet missed it completely.  By the time they finally put her on antibiotics, it was too late and the kidneys were shutting down.  Even though the owner had been given the names of a couple of vets to get a second and third opinion, they went back to the original vet and ended up losing their dog.  Even with a Lyme vaccine shot, it doesn't cover all of the stuff that ticks can spread much less others like mosquitoes and gnats.  Nasty stuff.

Debbie, you sure gave Pixie a great home.  What other dogs do you have now?

DebbieA
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »

I hadn't thought about Lyme Disease, but by the time we realized how sick she was, it was too late. 

We still have Lucy(13), Leo(11), and Lorelei(13).  Lorelei is blind and showing signs of senility, and Lucy is losing her hearing and bladder control.  Leo doesn't show any signs of slowing down yet.

~Debbie~

Lucy ~ Mini Eskie ~ DOB 04/02/04
Leo/Pokemon ~ Mini Reskie ~ DOB 09/01/05-ish ~ Gotcha 03/24/07
Lorelei ~ Shih Tzu ~ DOB 02/09/04
Pixie ~ Pom ~ DOB 01/01/10-ish ~ Gotcha 04/01/10 ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 03/06/17
Laszlo ~ Mini Reskie ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10/28/06
Christinn
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear about Pixie.  It's so hard to lose them so young and unexpectedly.

www.sterlingeskies.com

Merlin 5,  Macy 3 1/2,  and  Ellie 1,   Rainbow kids Buck and Shelby
Rileysmom
Barks Too Much

United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »

Debbie, I do remember Pixie at that eskie picnic years ago, when I got to meet you and your mom and your pups.  She was a little sweetheart and feisty then even with her broken leg.  She was the first pom I ever met in person and was such a charmer.  I am so sorry for your loss. 

Glad to hear that the rest of your family is doing O.K. and hope they will continue happy and (relatively) healthy for many more years.

Jeaneen B. - mom to 7 YO rescue sammies Kody & Zoe & Bridge Angels Riley (1999-2013) & Ben (1996-2009)
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »

I'm so sorry too Debbie for the loss of Pixie. She did end up in a great home too. She was a lucky girl. RIP Pixie!

Helene-Saint mom
JimmyThy
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »

So sad to hear about Pixie. I know you guys gave her a great life while you had her, though!

~Thy & Jimmy, FurParents of

Atka, standard male, born 3/25/04
and
Nuka, standard female, born 12/10/07
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum