Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
July 23, 2017, 04:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eskies life expectancy?  (Read 234 times)
anneh
Puppy

« on: March 26, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »

I am planning on adoption again due to passing of my last senior rescue (non eskie). I am going to find a match for my current non eskie. Looking at senior eskies and one that is possibly 14yo is available, what is their usual life expectancy? TIA
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:08:53 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for thinking of adopting a rescue, especially such seniors.

I'm not too sure how long they can live but I know I have 2 who are that age and they are doing very well. Well, one is blind due to genetic issue (PRA) but other than that he's good and does everything like before, just slower because of his condition.

The other one is turning 14 in September and I swear she thinks she is a year old. She is the most energetic dog of the 3 I have. She's nut! Big Grin

Adopting an older dog may come with health issues so you also have to be ready for higher vet bills. And I would also take into consideration that he may not be very active or agreeing to having another dog around him. Some prefer to be quieter.

14yo is over 70 years old in human years. In humans, some are still running marathons while others are barely walking. So many things to consider. But if you feel up to it, you should adopt this lucky guy if he can fit into his new home.

Good luck and let us know.

And we do love pictures and stories as well.

Helene-Saint mom
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »

So sorry to hear about the passing of your rescue.  I just love those older dogs.  Our Kasha is over 10 years old and she can run and play like crazy.  Although she does love her nap times!

I've heard of Eskies living to 18 years.  It all depends on how the dog lived in the past, which you probably wouldn't know dealing with a rescue, and the bloodlines the dog is from.  No matter what, you would be giving him the such a wonderful life even if it was only for a year or two.  That's the way it was here with an Alaskan Husky, ex-sled dog.  She was a fantastic dog but we were only able to have her a couple of years.  But during that time, she gave us more enjoyment than we ever could have asked for and I hope she enjoyed living with us too.  I'm glad we took a lot of pictures and video because I miss her so much.  There's been others too.  Each had their own special personality.  I'm so thankful for every minute we were able to share with them and the stories we have about them.

It is never a waste of time to take in an elderly dog of any breed.  Cherish the time you have with them and be able to let them go when their time comes.  Please know that you gave them an extra chance at a loving home and that is so much more than a lot of dogs have.

I say go for it and share pictures here too!  Facebook has kind of taken away all of the people who used to be on the board.  It's great to hear from you!

caroline
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »

I think the senior dogs give us more than you ever know.  They are so special.  I know a couple eskies who have hit 20!

Caroline

Seti-Reskie                         
Birthdate ~4/2009               
Gotcha date 10/23/10          

Bridge Angel-Shiraz
12/16/97-10/4/10
Gotcha Date 1/18/04

snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »

seniors are the best. you may have less time, but the time you have is so much more meaningful - especially to them Smile

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum