Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
September 26, 2017, 02:03:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transitioning from Out to In  (Read 1045 times)
eskiebama
Puppy

« on: January 31, 2016, 10:49:11 PM »

First, I need to give you a little back story on Jax. My little Jax is a 2 year old eskie who was going to be surrendered to a shelter because he did not sell as a puppy.  He was previously kept outside and did not even have a name. Frown My family had already decided to adopt an eskie within the next couple of years, so when we heard about Jax, we knew we needed to add him to our family. Now that he is a part of our family we are trying to transition him to staying inside with us. We have a huge backyard with a privacy fence so I don't necessarily have to put him on a leash to take him out, but would like to leash train him just so that it will be easier to teach him manners, etc. He is so friendly and loving, and seems to catch on quickly, but he isn't content staying inside. Do you have any advice or tips that you could give me to help transition him to being inside? I have never heard of an eskie being kept outside in a pen away from the family so the whole concept is foreign to me. I want him to be house trained, and an indoor family member, but it is difficult to house train him when he runs through the house like a crazy, wanting to pee on everything he sees, and then immediately decides he wants out again. I can't even lead him through the house on the leash because once the leash goes on, he shuts down. I'm open to any and all advice! 

Charli  & Jax

snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »

Hi! Thanks for adopting jax! I have had fosters that were outside dogs, and puppy mill dogs, and it's definitely a process. Sounds like he may have come from a similar neglectful situation.

Is he neutered? that helps with  marking. Invest in a belly band until he's house trained. Start the leash training by attaching a 4' lead to him and letting him drag it at all times (assuming you are there to make sure he doesn't get tangled etc). The feel of it on them takes some getting used to.

I'd try crate training him also. Give him a secure area to decompress. Try to keep a routine for feeding and potty and quiet time so he knows what's coming. Maybe he inside was a bad place for him before and hats why he's eager to get back outside. Make inside a happy place for him but most importantly try for small progress so as not to overwhelm him. You don't want him shitting down. How long have you had him?

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »

Yes, I agree with everything that Jen said.  Might help to shut any extra bedroom doors so he has more of a limited area to do his run through. Wink  At our house, we have a gate in the hallway so none of the dogs can go back to the bathroom or bedroom during the day.  It definitely helps with training any adult outside dogs or puppies.  Just don't want him where you can't keep an eye on him all the time so there's no messes to clean up.

Make sure to teach him how to play nice with some toys.  Maybe get him a Kong toy and put just a quarter of a teaspoon of peanut butter way down inside and he gets that when you want him to settle down.  It should keep him busy trying to lick it out.  Freezing it will make it last even longer.

If you do some training lessons in the house like sitting for a treat, make the treat size extremely small so he doesn't get too much and end up with 'the runs'.  Keep the lessons very short and end each lesson when he does what you want.  Always positive training with lots of praise and hugs.

Don't know how busy your house is with the kids and all but when there's a lot of commotion around the house, the dog will also sense that so calmness is best.  Kids like to run through a house to so if both they and the dog can limit that to outside, it will help keep a calm atmosphere for the dog too.  We've taken dogs from stressful households where there's always something going on and when they come here where we don't do a whole lot, they calm right down.  Kind of like us...they end up taking naps in the afternoon! Tongue

Good luck with Jax and keep asking questions!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum