Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
December 17, 2017, 06:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potty Training at 2 years old  (Read 807 times)
Starry15
Classy Dog

United States

« on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:05 PM »

Good evening everyone,

Well, I know the title sounds silly but it is true. Whenever we got Shelby, we lived on a top floor apartment and with bad winters...(we got her Christmas eve) we just decided to "pad train" her. It has always worked and she is a very clean dog. She hates to go outside and step on dirty. She will fight us to go outside. Anyway, she has always gone on her pad. Which is fine but now we are in the process of buying our first house. It has its own fenced in backyard and I think its a great opportunity to finally potty train her to just go outside.

My main goal is to get her off the pads. It is costly and this house is quite a bit over our budget and we need to make cut-backs and I think cutting back on pads would be a wonderful thing. The problem is, how do I make that transition? We are moving February first, hopefully.

I understand that shes used to a routine and going on her pad and she has it in her head that going on the grass is as bad as going on the floor. I tried to get her go outside before but she always held it in and went as soon as there was a pad. I just have no clue on how to transition her. I hope shes not too old now to train to go outside. Should I wait until shes used to the new house or just jump into it as soon as we are there?

thanks for any input!

~in loving memory of: Star my American Eskimo / Golden mix~

☆Shelby- dob: 9/26/13☆
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »

Hi!

There are not a zillion ways to get her to do her stuff outside. You'll have to get her used to it. She's intelligent and I am sure when she'll see she has access to a beautiful yard, she will take advantages of it pretty quickly.

In the meantime, you may try to move her pee pad closer and closer to the door and teach her that she has to hold it and to go outside.

Or you may want to wait once you get into your new home and work straight from there.

If you are afraid of little accidents on your new floors until she is fully trained outside, she may need to wear something like a belly band.

Good luck.

Helene-Saint mom
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:12:31 PM »

Congrats on getting a house!  Big step in your lives but you'll love it.

I'd wait until you move into the new house to make the change for her.  Like Helene said, put her pads near the door you'll be using for her to go outside.  Then take one of the used pads and take it outside and put it down on the grass and let her sniff it and know where it's at.  Might have to anchor the corners with a few rocks so it doesn't blow away.  Then eventually make the pads smaller in the house by cutting them in half or more and use a full one with some pee on it outside.  Make sure you use the same spot outside all the time so she knows where to go.  Might have to do some kennel training again if she decides to pee in the house during this training but she should catch on.  Lots of love and praise for doing the right thing.  Stand outside with her to make sure she goes and if she doesn't, then it's time for the crate for a few minutes and then try again.  Might need a day off of work to do all of that though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum