Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
September 26, 2017, 01:59:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Takoda is at hospital  (Read 1889 times)
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« on: October 01, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »

Our poor little Takoda started to vomit at around 11:30pm last night. At 1st it was just his food, then some "watery" thing. At some point it is around 2am and he vomits again. This time I seem some very light pinkish colour slimey saliva. That is NOT good I thought to myself. Either he has a bacteria or something worse. He's 11.5YO so anything can happen. He tries to lie down but you can see he's not feeling well. At 3am, being blind and wanted to go out desperately he bumps into anything and turns almost in circle. He's panting and looks stressed. I pick him up and take him outside in a nightgown and it's like 4c and windy and light rain. I'm freezing but he has to go. He has light diarrhea but his calm now. Again he tries to vomit but not much left. He is trembling.

Once back in our room, hubby picks him up and they sleep all cuddled up...until he has to get up and pants and vomits... but nothing much coming out.

I told hubby I was going to take him to the vet in the morning as this is clearly not just a little gastro crisis. I would not have gone to the ER just yet but clearly needed a vet 1st thing in the morning.

Of course before heading to the vet he escaped our attention and drank way too much water before we got to the water dish. 5 minutes later, it all came out! Deuh! Thank God for Scott Towels! hihi

So to the vet we went. His vitals are all good. A bit of arrhythmia but nothing serious and it may be caused by all this stress (sick and vet visit). He's also on the light side. He eats well, etc...but he's at 13.# and she said we feel his ribs a little too much. I don't know how I can fatten him up since he eats more than Nuuk and Kooza. Nuuk is also very light as she gets older. He's on puppy food too...so imagine if he was fed a lighter version of Taste of the wild. He was at 15.5# almost 2 years ago.

We had 2 options... of course we could not opt of the cheapest one. grrrr

Option 1) Vet said she could give him an injection of Cerenia to block off the nausea, an injection to kill the stomach bacterias and he could go home and we try to get him to eat very little at a time every 2 hours. If he's not keeping anything down, we have to take him in and they would put him on fluids, etc. He's not dehydrated yet but at his age it can turn bad fast. Strike one! We have to go to work to pay the vet bills right!

Option 2) They keep him for the day and she can monitor him, they can feed him little at a time. Also, if he does not keep/drink fluids, they will use a drip bag. Also since his blood panel is just over a year old, they could do a base one and it would help rule out something. She's pretty sure it is gastro related but who knows. So we agreed to this one...$500.

Since he is blind and they want him as stress-free as possible, they have put him in the isolation area. It is calm and away from the action area and he's near the staff where they can watch him. She also put a "blind" card on his door so everyone is taking good care of him and not scaring him (I did tell you I love my little clinic). Very human oriented as well.

Just the time to get to work and she calls me. Blood test is perfect, but his white cells count is a bit higher. Generally normal as he vomited a bit of blood and it also shows that he is fighting an infection. I was afraid his liver was giving up but seems all good. But X company is offering a free deeper test and since it is not costing anyone anything, she is sending a blood sample so they can test it. We'll see...

So now they are going to give him an antibiotic intraveniously for 24hrs. Also start him on fluids since he'll be there longer. She'll update me tonight and tomorrow.

If all goes well we should be able to pick him up tomorrow...too soon yet to know if he can keep anything down.

I told her we were supposed to go camping tomorrow afternoon. She said she will see how he goes by then. So we may have to cancel the camping (and lose money for the whole weekend stay). But hey! Takoda comes first...so we'll make him our priority.

So cross fingers that he's only fighting a bacteria (and no clue where he would have picked it up since he does not eat junk (but his poop sometimes if we're not fast enough behind him). He never chews rawhides or even his toys. So just bad luck or like the vet said, he may have licked something in campgrounds while walking/sniffing and it is getting to him now. Can make sense since we came back from Nashville just 12 days ago and were still camping last weekend near home.

Helene-Saint mom
caroline
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »

I hope he is back to normal soon!  Poor Guy!

Caroline

Seti-Reskie                         
Birthdate ~4/2009               
Gotcha date 10/23/10          

Bridge Angel-Shiraz
12/16/97-10/4/10
Gotcha Date 1/18/04

Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:32:02 PM »

Thanks Caroline.

The vet just called.

He is reacting well to the treatment. He still refuses to eat but that we knew and I told her that he would not and is very fussy... good food is bad but his poop does taste good! Deuh!!!! To try bacon and it may work. hihi

She said they gave him this morning a bigger dose of fluids and he looks much better. He will remain on antibio and tomorrow at 10am I must call and see if he can be taken home with oral drugs to take. She's optimistic that it should go well.

I've seen this vet only twice at this clinic as my regular vet (the boss of the clinic) was not there today and I truly like her. She is very passionnate about her job and knows how to approach people, just as much as animals. The kind of vet I like.

We will get results tomorrow for more extensive liver test (as it is free) and from what she sees now she would be very much surprised that something comes off from those. So yep. Crossing fingers that he can come home tomorrow.

Helene-Saint mom
snowboys1966
Classy Puppy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »

Get well wishes being sent to Takoda! Here is to a speedy recovery.

Oakley   Cooper
D.O.B     D.O.B
6.18.14   1.24.14
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »

Thank you.

Tako is back home (just under 20 minutes now)

I spoke to this vet that I truly dislike (long story but he was the one there today so no real other option).

He said he was doing ok but refused to eat (which I had told them yesterday morning and other vet was not concerned for food as hydration is more important).
I could hear from his voice that he did not want him out yet but told him the other said he could go if he was stable as he was yesterday at 3pm. Which is the case. And that he will certainly eat once home.

The deeper blood test taken for liver came back with a bad result (which I had expected - so I am not surprised by it). I was even surprised that the standard one came back ok yesterday morning as he drinks more than he did before, although he only drinks about twice a day (more on very hot days) so it is a lot at once. One of the values (which I could not catch in my 30 second call) is too high. Max is 14 and he's at 18 (I asked the reception for a copy of all results so will see tonight which one it is and can dig more).

They want to retake a blood test for this value in a month to see if it was related to renal failure or just related to stress/infection and being sick.

He's going to be put on kidney vet diet until I can find something more suitable than what they offer. Not a fan of their food but for now it will have to do if it can help him be with us a longer time.

But Sylvain said Tako was soooo excited and throwing himself in the hospital crate when he heard his voice. Staff laughed as he was so quiet and calm when left alone and now jumping and wanting to get to Sylvain. haha

He's now in his yard, sniffing and going on with his life. Sylvain will feed him little spoon of gastro can every hour and sees if he keeps it down. He has 3 different types of pills to take (which I'll do as of tonight). I guess one is antibiotic, one anti-nausea and the other...no clue. Will see when I see the labels. I wished I could have been there to pick him up but I need to work today so I had to count on Sylvain for my questions, etc... which he hates.

Anyway, he's back home, we'll retest his liver values in a month (or probably 1.5) and keep him on special diet til then.

Hoping it was just a bad gastro episode and not from a bad case of renal failure. He was perfect until the night before. So who knows how it will turn out. Going camping in 4hrs and Tako is with us. Yeah!

Helene-Saint mom
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »

Eek  I haven't been on here in quite a while and then to see this about Takoda!  Hope by now he's doing a lot better.  Poor little guy!  Sending get well wishes for Tako!

Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »

He is back to normal Roben. Pills are over too.

The worse was nuuk. She got so sick from Sunday to Wednesday we thought it would be the end. I was ready to take her in so they could put her on fluids, etc... she could not keep anything. She was almost lethargic. I tried giving her a cerenia pill Tuesday  but she vomited it. So i gave her another one Wednesday morning and she ate a bit. Came home from work expecting the worst...nope....she was so excited, tail up, wanting to eat, etc. So I gave her some of my cat's hills kd can as it is all she wanted and she swallowed it...and kept it and was chasing me to get more.

Her gums looked pale and I decided to give her broiled ground beef, that still had some liquid blood left. Good iron. She jumped right into the bowl. She is now looking good...too good as she chases a cat or bark through the back fence at our new neighbor's german Shepherd.  Evil

Saw my  vet last night to pick up her new bottle of reconcile and he said in those cases which they refuse to eat, feed them anything they want....in little portions at 1st. We have to get them to eat something even if it is cat food, people food, cereal, even human cookies. Just make sure they are safe stuff for the dog and that's it.

He is pretty sure it is a bug they caught during our nashville trip as we had been home not even 10 days and both were sick. Kooza is still top shape but is young and may not have been affected vs the older ones as his immune system is stronger.

But thank god, nuuk and tako are ok. I can breathe better and relieved. As I type this Tako is cuddling on my legs. Love them so much and it did scared me for a while... snif
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:53:32 PM by Saint Mom » Logged

Helene-Saint mom
snowboys1966
Classy Puppy

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »

Thanks for the update. Great to hear your pack is doing well!

Oakley   Cooper
D.O.B     D.O.B
6.18.14   1.24.14
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

Both are doing great so far. Back to normal. Yippeee.

But I don't like the Hills KD at all. The dogs do not eat it, unless I mix it with something else. And the poop that comes out if sooo huge. So I will not get a second bag.

Helene-Saint mom
nj
Veteran Member

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »

I haven't been on in a long time either.  I've wondered how you and Roben were doing.  Glad to hear your fluffies are still doing well. 

Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »

Thanks Nina.

Helene-Saint mom
blessed woman
Barks Too Much

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »

I haven't been on to see this. I'm glad they both recovered quickly and hope they both continue to be healthy!

Cindy

Kiana 7/24/97- 9/21/13 <3
Kodiak 7/24/97- 8/13/12 <3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum