Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
July 23, 2017, 04:43:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sad news  (Read 2415 times)
Christinn
Veteran Member

United States

« on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »

I did a breeding between Ellie and Merlin over Christmas.  Everything seemed to be going well with Ellie's pregnancy.  Then Ellie started having a dark discharge early February.  Vet did an x-ray and it appeared that there were two puppies.  The vet was worried because there should have been more calcification at that stage.  It could have meant that Ellie had ovulated way later than I thought or a puppy may have died.  We scheduled an x-ray for 5 days later.  This x-ray showed that the 2 puppies were continuing to grow so now we are assuming that she ovulated way later than I thought.   I wasn't able to talk with the vet after the x-ray so they just e-mailed it to me so I could see it.  It looked very strange to me as there were way too many bones for just two puppies, but there were only two skulls visible.  I sent it to Merlin's breeder, and Diana and Joe Allen and they all agreed that there were way too many bones for just 2 puppies.   Ellie finally went into labor on Feb. 27 but had a green discharge which means placenta's are separating.  Rush off to the vet only to find out in the x-ray that there are 2 dead puppies, curled up laying sideways blocking the way.  Emergency C-section but full term puppy could not be saved.   It was a very sad and disappointing day.  It was especially heartbreaking to be packing up the whelping box on the very weekend I thought I would be enjoying new babies.  Fortunately Ellie is doing well and seems to be healing up fine.  She adopted a new baby.  I don't know if I should be sad or horrified...lol!

www.sterlingeskies.com

Merlin 5,  Macy 3 1/2,  and  Ellie 1,   Rainbow kids Buck and Shelby
snowboys1966
Classy Puppy

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »

So sorry to read the news about your pup's. Rest in peace little ones.

Oakley   Cooper
D.O.B     D.O.B
6.18.14   1.24.14
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »

I am so sorry to read this post this morning. Sad, but the most important thing is that Ellie is doing good now.

She sure turned around quickly to adopt another one.  Big Grin I'm sure her pups would have been cuter though. hihi

Another proof that even when you do all the right things, a breeding can go wrong like we discussed over the years on this board.

Hugs to you and Ellie.  Hershey Kiss

Helene-Saint mom
Whytepine
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »

So sorry to hear about the puppies.  Hope Ellie is doing ok.  Just keep a close eye for infection.  Did they put her on antibiotics?  Was this a natural breeding or an AI?

I know the girls around here always liked having a 'baby' to carry around, even after they were spayed.  But mine like the fuzzy toys.

Hugs to you and Ellie.

blessed woman
Barks Too Much

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:52:14 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about the pups. But very relieved that Ellie is A-Ok.

Cindy

Kiana 7/24/97- 9/21/13 <3
Kodiak 7/24/97- 8/13/12 <3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum