Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
September 22, 2017, 08:15:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did all that fur go? Panda has yet to blow his coat  (Read 4893 times)
Tweetiepy
Cool Dog

« on: March 17, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »

Panda is now 2 and his fur is beautiful, but he's not fluffy like others that I've seen, even in this miserable winter we're having his fur is not poofy.  He never blew his coat or had clumps of fur coming off him in either spring or fall or any other season.  His undercoat is not thick and his fur is nice and shiny.

I've had the odd tumbleweed of fur in the corners but not the mini-eskie of fur I've seen coming off some dogs.  When we got him he was like a fur sausage with short legs - all compact fluff.  Where did it go?

Now Athena is a Samoyed and already double Panda's size at over 30 pounds and she's got another 15 or so pounds to go before she's done growing.  Her undercoat is also super thick & dense (around her butt area it's hard to reach her skin - she's not matted it's just so thick) - I've seen videos of a second dog being brushed out of the first - so I'm guessing she might end up like that too.  But what happened to Panda's fur?  He never had a full blow of his coat - where did his undercoat go cuz I never found enough to count towards a full shedding?  If his coat is not dense right now, could he lose more?  He seems to be okay in this frozen weather and only on days of very cold does he come in because his feet are cold.

He doesn't seem to shed excessively either, like I said just a small flow of tumbleweeds in the corners

Panda
snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »

Snoopy has fur like this. His is long and silky and he gets hardly any undercoat. He doesn't blow coat but rather sheds pretty regularly all year long. He's also either part something, or a really poorly bred byb dog. He was a rescued stray.

He did get thicker and thicker fur each time the coat cycle changed bit never a true eskie coat. Like panda the cold rarely bothers him and he lets me know when it does.

Did you ever see pandas parents? That's a good indicator of coat. As far as where the fluff went, that was puppy coat and falls out to be replaced by adult coats. Snowball didn't have a full coat until she was about 5.

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

Tweetiepy
Cool Dog

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »

No I didn't see his parents, he's from a supposedly real breeder - a pure bred with papers but he's pet quality, not for breeding or show or socializing - which is mostly okay with me, but I never saw his fuzzy puppy coat disappear - but yeah a slow minimal shed all year.  His coat has gotten bit thicker, my daughter said his belly had sparse "monkey fur" in the beginning and now he has much more on his belly - but it is a silky coat, hardly any undercoat.

Panda
katie's mom
Barks Too Much

United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »

Like Snoopy, my Katie was not a fluff-ball eskie.  She was a small standard and had a nice, slightly wavy coat but she was a reskie from then Heart Bandits so I have no idea what her parents look like.  So you may just have a sparse-coated eskie.....  And believe me, there are blessings to that too!

Where *did* you get Panda?

Marilyn

Sadie  Gotcha date 1/30/10
Saint Mom
Global Moderator

Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »

Takoda never had much coat, after about 18 months. But he has alopecia X so he is very thin (hair-wise). I call him my rat tail because of so little hair.  He's from a backyard breeder (did not know much then).

Nuuk always had tons of hair. Now at over 10YO, she's almost getting as thinned-hair as Tako. She's from a puppymill.

But that's ok...Kooza has hair for 6 dogs. Just on him. I wanted hair, lots of hair. I'm well served.  Tongue And he's from excellent breeder/line and we took our time to find a dog with HAIR. Right Tammy?  Big Grin

Helene-Saint mom
Tweetiepy
Cool Dog

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »

Where *did* you get Panda?

I got him from Greenfield kennels (I think it was called) someone from here had a look at their set-up and noted they weren't very good breeders - they might be pure-breds, but not very good quality ones. Had our family had more patience, I would have gotten an Eskie from someone on this board.  We drove over 8 hrs each way in a blizzard to get him - had we been closer, I think I would have left him there - not for what he looked like but because of how he was acting.

Panda was, and still is, very badly socialized and eats his poop (he was kept penned all day before we got him at 5 months) - I don't think he was exposed to much before we got him.  He's scared of everything and is very nervous.  Athena who we got from a reputable breeder of show dogs (Athena's mom was 2nd in Canada for the female Samoyed) is inquisitive, calm, friendly and socialized.  She's very well behaved (when Panda isn't around) and isn't terrified of normal everyday things - like a garbage bag.

He's a good dog by himself, but he just doesn't know how to play with Athena and always seems to be trying to bite her (not in a good way) an he's only 2 1/2 yrs old.  He's very dominating too, like peeing on top of Athena's pee, sometimes WHILE she's peeing.

Panda
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum