Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
December 17, 2017, 06:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your eskie know the difference?  (Read 3390 times)
Schatzi's Mom
Classy Dog

« on: December 17, 2004, 12:29:02 PM »

I have noticed recently that Schatzi can now decipher between a couple words she didn't use to react to.  I used to just ask her if she needed to go potty but now I ask her if she needs to go pee pee or poopy.  Not sure why I changed but now when I ask her if she needs to pee pee but she needs to do the other she will just stare at me.  If I ask her the correct question then she will spin around at that door but she will wait until I say the correct word before she spins.  Big Grin

Kim
Schatzi- Female Standard-6 Years Bday 8/4/2003

Jack - 3 years
snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 12:52:21 PM »

snowball knows more than snoopy (surprise) if i tell her 'go pottys', she'll pee, 'potty one more' or 'go poops' is #2

when i ask who has to potty they both run to the door.

snowball knows she isnt allowed upstairs without permission. she'll pace at the bottom of the stairs till i tell her to 'go upstairs'.  and if i ask her 'wheres your cat' or 'wheres mittans' she goes looking for the cat.

and we cant ssy go for a ride or go outside near either of them.  they freak out. and i swear they know petsmart Smile

snoop, not so much of a vocab.  working on it  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 12:53:11 PM by snowballsmom » Logged

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

Schatzi's Mom
Classy Dog

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 01:17:17 PM »

I can't say the word "walk", she freaks out and gets a very disgusted look if I am not taking her for one right that moment.  She will also look for Shelby if I ask her where she is.  She has just started to look for her ball when asked, we used to get the blank stare.
I just thought it was so funny she would not spin until we guessed the right reason for her trip outside.  lol
I am sure Snoop will catch on soon enough from watching Snowball.  Smile

Kim
Schatzi- Female Standard-6 Years Bday 8/4/2003

Jack - 3 years
snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 02:04:05 PM »

they say they have the mental capacity of a 2 year old.

did anyone hear abotu the dog, a border collie i think, that knew a couple hundred words? it knew the names for all its toys, people, places i think.  kinda amazing how smart they are.

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 03:56:37 PM »

My most favorite Pom, Huggy, was documented by fellow club members to have 264 words.
 Raven is well over one hundred. What I find funny about her is she can differentiate between her Greenie , a green squeaker toy, and Greenies of which she only gets one a week; therefore a Greenie .  It has nothing to do with changes in my voice, but a difference in sentence structure - I think.

Yes, they say 2 yr old, but in my opinion it is more like a 4 yr old's mind.  

Mary

Mary in the Northern Neck of VA

My alter ego, my heart
Ch. Sierra Striking Raven, CGC, TDI, TT
female Standard  2/3/96 - 2/12/10

eskieagilitygal
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 04:30:19 PM »

I stopped going to one trainer when he stood there and told me that dogs do not understand vocals or our language, to only use hand signals.     I told him he must have always had some pretty dumb dogs... cause all my dogs have known words... especially the words "Lets Go", "Walk", "Breakfast", "Dinner", "Pee Pee" and "PooPee"   I have never sat down and wrote all the words that Winston knows... would have to keep a pad wtih me for a week and just write them as I use them I guess, to figure it out, but I know he knows quit a few, especially the ones he chooses to ignore.  "Bath Time" and "Come (when he's chasing something in the back yard).

Praise The Dog - Slap the Handler
Taffee (Peace Loving), Little Tasha (Worker Bee), Blu (The Scallywag), Siku (The Jester)
Rainbow Bridge - Sir Winston (My #1)
mikisdad
Classy Puppy

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 05:38:59 PM »

Miki's favorite word is cookie. Sophie is a brat and has to go outside on a leash. I don't worry about Miki running off,  so she can go in the back yard to take care of his business by herself. She takes her sweet time and will eventually respond to the word 'come' she responds much better to the word 'cookie'.

The dogs both get excited with the words, toy, outside, food, walk and raccoon.

One of Sophie's favorite words is 'bug', which will cause he to immediately locate and eat the bug.

DebbieA
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 06:06:33 PM »

Mine know bed, crate, outside, pee, poop, walk, gramma (and gramma's house), treat, hot dog, rawhide, and they are learning greenie fast.  There are probably more that I just haven't noticed they know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 06:06:51 PM by DebbieA » Logged

~Debbie~

Lucy ~ Mini Eskie ~ DOB 04/02/04
Leo/Pokemon ~ Mini Reskie ~ DOB 09/01/05-ish ~ Gotcha 03/24/07
Lorelei ~ Shih Tzu ~ DOB 02/09/04
Pixie ~ Pom ~ DOB 01/01/10-ish ~ Gotcha 04/01/10 ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 03/06/17
Laszlo ~ Mini Reskie ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10/28/06
snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 06:15:11 PM »

so smart, such a vocab, yet when convenient they are not only deaf, but forget their names too.

"huh, me? you talking to me? you mean i am not SUPPOSED to eat the tree? oh i thought you were talking to the OTHER little white dog..."

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

Kathy
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 10:49:47 PM »

Shasta and Kola don't know the difference between potty and pooh so I just use potty for everything.  They know they get praised no matter what they do, and if it is right before bedtime, they get a treat, too!

They know lots of words--Kong, kennel, bed, running, sidewalk (as in "get on the sidewalk!), and the names of some of their toys.  They know Mark (for hubby) but I don't think they know who Kathy is.  That's because they are always under my feet so there is no need for them to ever find me!

Kathy and the Snowpups
CATCH UACH URO1 Shasta NA,NAJ,S-OAC,O-OCC,EJC,O-TN-E,S-TG-O,S-WV-O,
UAGII UCD URO1 AltCH Kola NAJ,NAC,EAC,OCC,OJC,S-TN-O,TG-O,WV-O,CL4
nj
Veteran Member

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 05:17:08 PM »

Say 'Kitty Kitty' and Little Boy comes running, he knows a cat is getting attention!

Also, you can ask, 'where's your sock?" and he'll look for one of his socks he's claimed, and start prancing around.

DebbieA
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 09:45:24 PM »

Another thing that Lucy knows that comes in handy is "get out".  If she happens to come into a room where I don't want her, I just say "get out" and she waits in the hall.

~Debbie~

Lucy ~ Mini Eskie ~ DOB 04/02/04
Leo/Pokemon ~ Mini Reskie ~ DOB 09/01/05-ish ~ Gotcha 03/24/07
Lorelei ~ Shih Tzu ~ DOB 02/09/04
Pixie ~ Pom ~ DOB 01/01/10-ish ~ Gotcha 04/01/10 ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 03/06/17
Laszlo ~ Mini Reskie ~ Crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10/28/06
wokajod
Barks Too Much

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 03:40:29 PM »

Chloe has been really responding to "truck" lately.  I guess she's been riding in our truck too much lately. When we take the boys to school, I have to tell her "truck", or she will go and stand by our van that we were trying to sell.

Wokajod - Chloe and Beau's mommy & 2 beautiful boys
Chloe - mini,14-1/2",dob 5/1/02
Beau- min,dob 9/23/05
Tiger Cat - a real live squeak toy to torment Beau
KSL
Cool Puppy

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2004, 09:27:13 PM »

Niki's bi-tri-lingual.  He'll do commands in 2 languages for most and some in a third. or fourth   :tongue:  He's also got selective hearing.. ignores you when it's convenient (For him) and there are times when you HAVE to say his name before the command.  Otherwise he feels it's convenient to pretend there's someone else you're talking to (when he's the only one there)  :rolleyes:

Niki -  supposed Toy, m
Last measurement 14"? oviously Not Toy
 12/10/98

http://community.webshots.com/user/ksl1226
snowballsmom
Veteran Member

United States

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2004, 10:49:47 PM »

selective hearing- a favorite trait of eskies all over, and four-year old kids Smile

we have 2 and they each pretend the other one is being talked to.  not excuse to ignore when there is only one fuzzbutt running around

Jen
Snoopy, Resident Eskie
Snowball 7.12.03~6.7.13

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum