Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
December 17, 2017, 06:41:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about NILIF?  (Read 2636 times)
BCBERRI
Cool Puppy

« on: June 18, 2004, 10:06:01 AM »

How would this work with three dogs? Just do more one on one time? With the others in their crates? Ever since we got Krazie, the other two have lost all their manners. It is quite agrevating. Ruger the BC has been thru obedience and is now on to Search & Rescue training and he has gotten to the point that he's not listening at all to me ?( . I was hoping it was part of the "adjustment" phase. I think NILIF would work great, just would love some advice from those of you who have more than one dog. How many of you guys have used this method? Does it really work? I would love a gentle way of training (and retraining) my Boys. Thanks Big Grin

Amy, Ruger, Timber & Krazy
Jenny_Jen
Barks Too Much

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 04:52:19 PM »

NILIF isn't something that is used "sometimes" for training so I'm not really understanding your question.  NILIF is something that is used all day every day, it becomes a way of life.

BCBERRI
Cool Puppy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 05:09:36 PM »

I haven't used this method of traing for my other two dogs. Now that I have added a 3rd (the eskie) to the mix the two older ones are acting up and I think this would be a good change to keep the peace. I understand this is an everyday forever thing. However, I am wondering a) if anyone has any recomondations as to how to successfully begin this with three dogs, and b) any advice on this method of living, period.

Jenny_Jen
Barks Too Much

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »

We started using NILIF with Bailey at 6 months of age.  She is now 14 months old and we still use it now.  In order to start it they have to know some obedience (this is the foundation of NILIF).  A simple thing such as "Sit" is a good start.  The whole idea is that they have to work for everything they want in life.  Everything is on your terms since you are the alpha in your pack.

The best resource I have found that explains NILIF is NILIF

It really isn't used as a training method, but helps restore pack order in your house.  When Bailey hit 6 months of age she started challenging us and testing her limits.  Now her rules are:  she must sit and wait until I tell her it's ok to eat her food (the food is right in front of her, but she's not allowed to start until I say "ok").  She is not allowed on the bed or on furniture until she is invited (Tundra is not ever allowed on the bed just yet since he's new here and we are still working with him).  She is not allowed to bark at me or nudge (demanding attention) me.  If she does I ignore her until she gives up (doesn't take long now if she even tries) and then I call her to me and I demand attention from her.  If she wants to play, it's on my terms, not hers or if I feel like playing she must do something for me first (wants me to throw the ball, she must "sit" or "down" or we make it fun and she does tricks for me.  I always end the play sessions and start them.  I never give treats unless they work for it.

There are different variations in they way each household uses NILIF.  We don't bother with making her wait until we go thru doors first since I usually have to turn around and lock the door behind me so it's easier if she goes out first.

Most people start NILIF off with not allowing the dogs on furniture (look up the King of the castle syndrom with dog packs) at all for 6 weeks.  This must be consistant.  Then start to allow them on when you invite them.

If I were you I would just apply this to all 3 dogs right off the start.  We started Tundra on it right away.  After his first week of being here he started food guarding so he lost all privledges in our house.  He is just starting to gain some of them back.  After 1 week of NILIF he stopped food guarding.

How is food time handled in your house?  Do you feed all 3 dogs at once or do you free feed?  If you free feed this can't work and you will have to start time feeding them.  We have 2 set times of eating.  Breakfast and dinner.  If they don't feel like eating a meal then their food gets taken away and they don't get fed again until the next meal time.  Tundra doens't know "wait" yet so I just make him sit before he gets his bowl.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 06:35:00 PM by Jenny_Jen » Logged

heidi
Barks Too Much

United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 06:34:38 PM »

Now that I have added a 3rd (the eskie) to the mix the two older ones are acting up

The dogs are having to work out their pack order.   Things will settle in time.  

Keep digging around on the internet and reading about the NILIF philosophy.

If I understand it correctly, the idea behind NILIF is that the dogs earn their rights within the pack.  

Both Blacky and Ophelia have to earn their treats.  Sit, lay down, 'you got something to say?' (speak), and sometimes kisses.  So treats are given one at a time.  Blacky, sit, good girl, treat.  Ophelia, lay down, good girl, treat.  Wait your turn or get nothing.

Blacky is older and pretty submissive, but Ophelia gets too big for her britches sometimes.  I make her sit and wait when I open doors, so that I can go through first, then I give her permission.   She's almost knocked me over a few times racing past me, so I put a stop to that.

The hard part is not submitting to the dog.  Others who have done the social isolation can tell you more about that.  Basically, everything is on your terms, so when the dogs wants something you can't submit.  The NILIF info I've read says to completely ignore the dog, don't look, talk, or do anything.  Preventative maintenance on trips outside make this work.  If Ophelia wants to play and decides to shove a toy in my lap, I ignore her.  I wait for her to give up and move on to a new activity and then it's safe for me to call her over to play, because then it was on my terms. Or I call her over before she has a chance to bug me.

Pablo (corgi), Micki (reskie), Ophelia (lab/beagle)
BCBERRI
Cool Puppy

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »

Thanks for the input guys! We tried it all weekend and it really was great. Because they all know the "basics" I made them all do something for dinner and pets and everything. They actually took to it quite well. No temper tantrums. They all eat at the sime time every night in their respective crates. But I did make them sit and "paw" for their meals. I did alot more one on one time with each dog this weekend too. I think it kind of eased the chaos. I think the hubby and I really like this way of looking at who is alpha in our house. On a lighter note... Krazy learned if you roll in red clay puddles mom's face turns a funny purple color . Thank goodness for that "no stick" coat.  Big Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum