Eskie Board - American Eskimo Dogs
  |  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |
May 25, 2018, 10:36:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Forum Sections Opened.

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breed him or not???  (Read 2396 times)
Ellen
Puppy

« on: June 13, 2004, 10:44:16 PM »

Dakota is 1yr and 7months now. He is a male standard size. I know of a few people that would love to have the same breed dog. They have asked us if we are going to breed him. Dakota is full bread, But to get him cheaper the lady said then im not gonna give you his papers. Witch was fine with me, because i was getting him for a pet(not to show or anything). But do you think people would give us a hard time because we dont have his papers? And do you think this is a good age for him to breed?? Any suggestions or info. would be great.

Ellen
EskieMa
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 06:09:13 PM »

People like to have their papers on their dogs.

Why would you breed a pet?  Has Dakota's biting problem been solved?  You say he is allergic to soy. So you want to give other people his problems?  Be careful, they may come back to haunt you.  

Most dogs are not bred until after their health clearances come back. The last one cannot be done until he is more then 2 years old.  Yu may think he is healthy, but what will he pass on to his kids?

Are you prepared for the change in him and his habits after he is bred?  Re-training housebreaking? Having him run-away to get to the nearest female in heat?  Having him howl all night long?

Some things to think about.
Mary

Mary in the Northern Neck of VA

My alter ego, my heart
Ch. Sierra Striking Raven, CGC, TDI, TT
female Standard  2/3/96 - 2/12/10

eskieagilitygal
Global Moderator

United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 11:26:26 PM »

Ellen, I have to agree with Mary.... The first question that came to my mind is Why did the breeder not give you the papers?   Did she breed a dog that was sub-standard and was not able to obtain the papers because of her breeder contract or did she sell at a reduced cost and without papers, because Dakota was not breeder quality?   This does not mean that Dakota is not a loving, loyal, friendly family pet and a good example fo the breed... nor does it mean that he won't live a full and healthy life.   All it means is that he probably carries certain traits /genetic code that would not help enhance the breed standard/quality.

As Mary mentioned about the tests.  At the minimum, if you still decide you want to breed him... wait till he is two years old, take the Hip and PRA tests and then make a decision after the results come in. Also, does his eyes stain (tear stains), if they do.. this is also something you don't want to pass along (small tear ducts).   By doing these tests and clearing him of at least these major health concerns, will ensure that you at least won't be passing on these traits directly... BUT and a big BUT... you still won't know (without his papers) if he may have had parents or someone in his line, that could pass it on to his pups.   Most Breeders can go back breed lines to 30+ years on Eskies now... helping clear many problems.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Praise The Dog - Slap the Handler
Taffee (Peace Loving), Little Tasha (Worker Bee), Blu (The Scallywag), Siku (The Jester)
Rainbow Bridge - Sir Winston (My #1)
Michael
Administrator

United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:52:07 AM »

Hi Ellen:

I'm not going to get into the should/shouldn't you breed issue too much as it can ruffle a lot of feathers. But, basically, really breeding "well" takes a lot of effort, time, and knowledge. If you haven't done this before, you would be best to research on that issue first. Only once you've decided that "yes, I want to do this", would you move in that direction. There are questions you would be best getting answers to first on his papers and all as well......which is part of learning what all goes into breeding a dog and such.

Also....a much simpler approach is merely to refer people "to" a breeder you know that breeds eskies. So, when they ask about whether you intend to breed or not, you can just refer them to this breeder. Saves you ALL the hassle and issues getting into breeding can involve, and gets other people in contact with someone in the know of the breed.

BTW....whether the breeder you got Dakota from, or any other eskie breeder would be worth contacting and talking to. Ask them about breeding and what all it takes. Mainly seek to "learn" from them and go from there. As many will tell you, it's not all as simple as it seems, but if you are seriously interested, then learning more from those who are breeders in your area are probably the best contacts you can make locally.

But, think about just referring people to a good eskie breeder as well! Smile That's the route I prefer most the time, and can just say "contact this lady" or something like that and let a breeder who's been around help these people out! Smile

Just some food for thought!

Take care....

Michael

Shelby- American Eskimo Dog
Dahlia & Cassandra - Miniature Poodles
In loving memory of Jamie and Amber (Miniature Poodles)
heidi
Barks Too Much

United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 01:24:36 AM »

If you choose to breed him, even if it's just for friends to have pets, you will be putting yourself out there as a breeder.  As has been mentioned, there is quite a bit of responsibility that comes with that.  You're not only responsible for the puppies you produce, but for the integrity of the breed as a whole.

A friend of mine has a golden retriever.  His family got the dog from a friend of his wife's who breeds retrievers.  I don't know if the dog has his papers or not, I didn't ask.  However, I was stunned to hear about the number of allergies and other health problems the dog has and he's not that old.  Would you go to a breeder who produces puppies with allergies, health, or other problems?

Pablo (corgi), Micki (reskie), Ophelia (lab/beagle)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Eskie Central  |  Dog Pages  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Site Guide  |

The Poodle Room  |  The Poodle Room Forum